Wednesday 22nd April 2015
The post contained remarkable positivity considering the situation Stephen was facing, and it went on to inspire the nation. It prompted a wave of support that neither Stephen nor Teenage Cancer Trust could ever have foreseen.
A year on, we wanted to say thank you for this astonishing outpouring of generosity that will benefit so many other young people with cancer in the future.
Fundraising inspired by Stephen
Stephen’s number 1 aim was to raise money for Teenage Cancer Trust. Stephen’s Story inspired the biggest single fundraiser in Teenage Cancer Trust’s history. Combining online, text and postal donations with Gift Aid, it has raised £5 million (£5,112,728.39) for Teenage Cancer Trust, through nearly 340,000 donations.
Back in September we announced how the incredible fundraising total inspired by Stephen would be spent. We’re excited to be able to update you on the progress made since then.
Specialist cancer units:
- Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham is now open
- Refurbished unit at Weston Park hospital in Sheffield is completed
- The new unit at Southern General in Glasgow will open in the spring.
- The new unit at Alder Hey in the Park in Liverpool is planned to be occupied in September 2015.
- The new unit in Edinburgh will be open in 2016/17
- The Stephen Sutton Scholarships in Teenage and Young Adult Cancer care are open to applicants at Coventry University
Information about cancer for young people:
Stephen showed us all that digital communication is at the heart of how young people speak, learn and support each other, so we’re developing a new digital platform so young people can access specialist cancer information and support each other online.
Providing life changing support and experiences:
The money helped 158 young adults attend Find Your Sense of Tumour, an event close to Stephen’s heart, in November 2014. More will be spent on travel costs for young people to attend the event over the next 5 years.
We have other events planned for this year which will be announced soon.
Want to continue Stephen’s amazing legacy? Join the Skydive for Stephen!